Sunday, October 01, 2006

random observations

I've learned a lot about the British culture since I've been in London but two things in particular have stuck out. The first is that you should never ask anyone here how something compares to the way it is in the US. I was getting my hair cut and when the lady asked how long I wanted it on the sides I asked if the units are the same here as they are back home. I thought this was a valid question because I don't even know what the units are (I always just ask for a 5) and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to end up with a shaved head. Her witty response was "yeah, they're the same, and we even have running water!" One of our tech guys from Chicago elicited the exact same response when he asked a guy here if they have FedEx. The exact same response, word for word!

The second thing I've learned is that Christmas must be a huge deal here since I've already seen at least ten bars advertising for parties. I thought that Thanksgiving was early in the US! It almost seems like Christmas here is an equivalent party holiday to New Years for us. I guess I probably shouldn't ask them about it though, becuase who knows what reaction I'll get.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

On units: What does "5" mean when getting a haircut? Does that refer to the size of the clipper attachment and how far away it keeps the clippers from your scalp?

On Christmas: I thought Boxing Day was bigger than Christmas . . . no?